Button Battery Ingestion: A Conundrum of Preventable Sequelae ManagementCorrespondence Address :
Department of Ear, Nose and Throat, Head and Neck Surgery, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal-576104, Karnataka, India.
Foreign body ingestion is frequently encountered in infants and young children. In recent years, button batteries have become extremely common among household use. As a result of this, there has been an increase in the outcomes related to this button batteries ingestion. Literature reports that there has been a 6.7 fold increase in the major or fatal outcomes associated with button battery ingestion. The complications are attributed to the electric current generated at the negative pole of the battery and the discharge of alkaline electrolytes, leading to liquefaction necrosis and also due to pressure necrosis. Here, authors’ report with two cases of button battery ingestion, of which one case had a fatal outcome and about the measures taken in the second case to avoid major or fatal consequences.
Aorto-oesophageal fistula, Bleeding, Foreign body, Oesophageal burns
Nikitha Periasamy, Ajay Bhandarkar, Balakrishnan Ramaswamy, Kailesh Pujary. BUTTON BATTERY INGESTION: A CONUNDRUM OF PREVENTABLE SEQUELAE MANAGEMENT. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research [serial online] 2019 August [cited: 2019 Aug 18 ]; 13:MD01-MD04. Available from
Date of Submission: May 28, 2019
Date of Peer Review: Jun 13, 2019
Date of Acceptance: Jun 18, 2019
Date of Publishing: Aug 01, 2019
FINANCIAL OR OTHER COMPETING INTERESTS: None.
- Emerging Sources Citation Index (Web of Science, thomsonreuters)
- Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 134.54
- Academic Search Complete Database
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
- Google Scholar
- HINARI Access to Research in Health Programme
- Indian Science Abstracts (ISA)
- Journal seek Database
- Popline (reproductive health literature)